Sunday, February 5, 2012

Reproducing the Masters

I guess it started with a stitcher's ailment closely related to 'writer's block'.  But then it came to me...what if I copy a really famous painting. It started out as a bit of a challenge, not thinking that I could possibly do it.  
The results?   Well, see for yourself!


I had always wanted to reproduce a face, but it's a pretty intimidating project.  When I saw this painting by Johannes Vermeer, I fell in love with this young girl.  She was so beautiful and reminded me a lot of my daughter.  He titled it 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'.











After conferring with my husband, who is from Dutch descent, I decided to try a Van Gogh.  I didn't particularly have a preference, but when I saw his painting of the boats on the beach, I knew I had to at least give it a try.

I had no idea how to replicate his fantastic sky in thread, so decided to make this into a multi-media work and paint the sky.  It has a wonderful effect.  I knew I wanted to capture the movement and flowing of the sea, so used wool roving for the waves.  I really love this one.  Vincent van Gogh titled this "Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries de la Mer".





My final entry is probably the most famous of the all.  It took a lot of thought how to do this intricate work, but I'm really pleased with it.  We visited the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican back in the '80's and Michelangelo's paintings on the ceiling were an absolute highlight.  This isn't close to the real thing, but I think it does capture the essence of God's greatness and His desire to be in relationship with mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment